Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Something New Here I Come

So its been a year since I last blogged.  There's been so much that has happened and its been a busy 12 months.
I went to my 25th High School Reunion on Thanksgiving weekend last year.  I had wanted to go, but the closer the day got, the more I second guessed my decision.  There were several people I wanted to reconnect with that I hadn't seen since high school and I wanted to go see my friends.  There were people I wasn't sure I wanted to see after all this time as these people definitely weren't my friends.  Kelly came with me, in his words, as my "bodyguard".
I found out that not everyone had as rosy of a childhood as I thought they did.  They had insecurities and doubts and some were even bullied in high school.  Some people had really changed in the last 25 years and were happier now then they were when we were in school.  Some, like me, didn't know if they really wanted to come but found the courage to show up.
I had a wonderful time reconnecting with fellow graduates and I am really glad I went.

So flash forward to today.  I made a decision this spring to try something new.  Something I'd never done before.  Something I wanted to do as a child, but do to circumstances I didn't have the opportunity to do.
I asked my family what they thought, and each one of them told me to "go for it".  Angela even offered to help me out.   So I signed myself up, paid the registration fee, and then started to tell a few family and close friends.  I figured if I told a few people, I wouldn't be able to back out as easy...
One of the reasons for me doing this is to try to lose the last ten pounds that just refuse to leave my body.  The other reason is that I really love to do this, but I do it at home, not in front of people.
Doing it in front of people scares me.  This is so outside my comfort zone, but if I don't do it now, I won't do it at all.
I know the Mom's I'll be dancing with.  Yes, I said dancing...
I joined Adult Jazz at Angela's dance studio and I have my first class on September 17th.  That's tomorrow.  The closer I get to my first class the more I second guess my decision.
But like my 25th High School Reunion, it takes a little courage to show up.  I guess I'll find out if I have two left feet...

No comments:

Post a Comment