Tuesday, October 7, 2014

My Inspiration--Part One

 My Inspiration--Part One

Her name is Donna, and she is my sister.  She has been there for me in the happiest times of my life and the saddest times of my life.  I don't know who I would be without her in my life.

Donna got married when I was almost one year old.  She has told me many times that she cut her honeymoon short so she wouldn't miss my first birthday.  I've apologized for not remembering her wedding.  She had twins when I was three years old, a week after a devastating time in our lives, when we lost our Mom suddenly, on October 8, 1974.  I don't remember much from those days, but I do remember being with my sister, living with her family for many months of my early years.  One of my favorite memories are of the two of us going window shopping at Eaton's Centre, getting a malt as a treat and riding the transit bus downtown.  I remember being told not to stare at the people at the back of the bus....you didn't see a lot of people with purple mohawks on the farm.  To a preschooler there were sure a lot of different people and things to see in the big city.  Years later I would be telling my own children not to stare...its funny how the littlest things come full circle.

My sister is tough.  She is kind, caring, loving and forgiving.  She has determination and grit. And she is my Rock. Donna is more than just my sister; she took over for our Mom--I don't know if Dad asked her to, or if she volunteered, but either way I'm thankful that she did.  She has taught me many lessons over my lifetime, too many to list here.  I just know that without her, I wouldn't be the person I am today.

Donna is my inspiration in more than one way.  I'm trying to raise my children with the same morals she instilled in me, and she is one of the reasons I am on my journey to be a healthier Mommy.                                          

A few months ago Donna told me she had gone on a diet, and had lost 20 pounds just by watching what she was eating and walking on her treadmill.  This got me thinking that if she could do it, so could I.  So within a few days of that conversation I started logging into myfitnesspal.com on a regular basis.  The big day was July 14.  I don't know that I would have gone head first into losing weight if Donna hadn't started first.  Call it sibling "rivalry" if you want, but I:
a) didn't want to be left out and
b) didn't want her to do it alone.
Maybe I'm a copy cat in this case.  That's okay, its for a good reason.

I'm very proud of Donna for putting herself first...after raising five children (six if you include me) and seeing them off on their own, which is a huge accomplishment, I'm selfishly happy she is taking care of herself.  I want her there when one of my children make her a Great Auntie!!!  Her children have given me that honour 10 times!!!!

I started on this journey to being a healthier Mom for my kids.  I know what its like to grow up without a Mom and even though for the most part its in God's Hands, I'm doing what I can to be around for them.  I don't want to miss out on seeing each of them grow up.

This journey I'm on isn't a short one.  Maybe the weight loss part of it is, but I'm here for the long haul. I don't want to gain back the weight I've lost this time.  I want to keep it off.  I think what I've learned about myself and my body in the last 3 months will help me to keep doing what I'm doing for as long as I can.  My Dad lived until he was 90.  I guess that means I have at least another 40+ years (I hope) before I have to "slow down"!


No comments:

Post a Comment